Worldwide Dog Dancing Competitions Are A Thing!

March 14, 2018

Congratulations to Skiffe and his human partner, Lucy Creek.  They’re this year's winner of the 2018 Crufts' Freestyle Heelwork to Music competition.  In other words, there are dance competitions for dogs!  A worldwide competition held in 10 counties have evolved from the early 1990s when obedience trainer Mary Ray demonstrated "heelwork to music" at Crufts dog show held each year in the United Kingdom, to hundreds of dogs and their dogs vying for the world crown in The World Canine Organization (FCI) competitions.  FCI is just one of the dozens of dog dancing organizations across the world.  Most follow these rules for competitions, which are broken into two categories, Heelwork To Music and Freestyle. The Heelwork To Music is like ice skating and ballroom dancing. There are specific moves that must be completed and are scored on by three judges.  The heelwork to music means 75% of the routine requires close contact and parallel moves between the dog and its handler with neither touching. The remaining 25% is freestyle where the dog is more than 1.5 feet away. Freestyle is less formal and emphasizes the partnership between the dog and their handler, where dog and handlers mirror moves. In the United States we have the World Canine Freestyle Organization (WCFO) that crosses the country for competitions.  The good news is that WCFO, along with other organizations, are always looking for new members.

SOURCE: Mother Nature Network

See and hear more from the 98.5 KTK Morning Show

98.5 KTK Morning Show Podcast