Safety Tips For Using Generators, Camp Stoves and Candles

September 8, 2017

As we prepare for Hurricane Irma and the potential of devastating damage to our homes and businesses, the Consumer Product Safety Commission warns us about hidden dangers lurking in their storm-ravaged homes.  As we prepare for days without electricity many people turn to generators and camp stoves, which releases carbon monoxide, which can be deadly as it has no odor or color.  Remember that if you use a generator, make sure it is in a well ventilated area.  As for fires and camp stoves, use them outdoors to lower the risk of carbon monoxide build up. A good rule of thumb is to make sure there is at least 20 feet between generators, charcoal grills, and camp stoves and a person’s home. While candles provide light, they are potentially dangerous.  The Consumer Product Safety Commission suggest using flashlight or battery-operated lanterns.  Use candles as a last resort and made sure they are clear of any items that might catch fire. Treat every downed power line like it is full of electricity. Also if your home is flooded, refrain from operating or handling electrical appliances that have been in standing water.

SOURCE: US Consumer Product Safety Commission

See and hear more from the 98.5 KTK Morning Show

98.5 KTK Morning Show Podcast