An Operatign Room Fire Caused By Patient's Passing of Wind

November 1, 2016

© Sellen | Dreamstime

A normal operation turned into an inferno that left a patient burned and the operating room smoldering last April in a Tokyo, Japan hospital last April.  It occurred when Doctors were using a laser on the patient’s cervix.  All was going well when a fire erupted in the operating room. Investigators were puzzled as to the fuel source for the fire.  Inspection had shown there were no flammable materials were in the operation room at the time of the surgery and the equipment for the operation was also functioning normally.  Finally the source of the fire was unearthed.  It is suspected the patient’s flatulence was ignited by the laser being used! The report stated, “When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire.” 

SOURCE: Asahi Shimbun

See and hear more from the 98.5 KTK Morning Show with Storm, Janie and Chris