Ghost Pepper Burns Hole In Man's Throat

October 18, 2016

© Mohammed Anwarul Kabir Choudhury | Dreamstime

Many get pleasure from the pain of eating spicy food but this one may even make those who love to turn up the heat a reason to set limits. The ghost pepper is one of the world's hottest peppers, with a Scoville rating of more than a million (by comparison, a Habanero rates up to 350,000 on the scale). So it make sense to only consume the Ghost Pepper in small quantities.  However the Journal of Emergency Medicine reports of the recent activity of a 47 year old man, who was involved in an eating contest where he must've though he'd get bonus points for eating his burger topped with a ghost pepper puree. So it shouldn't have been a surprise that the man began to immediately vomit to get the hot pepper out of his system.  But the burring continued and paramedics were dispatched and the man was taken to the hospital.  Fortunately for him, the trip to the ER saved his life.  The vomiting mixed with the spicy pepper had caused a tear to form in his esophagus, a condition has a high mortality rate. Because doctors were able to notice it early, emergency surgery was performed and after 23 days in the hospital, with a feeding tube, the man was released. 

SOURCE: Journal of Emergency Medicine

See and hear more from the 98.5 KTK Morning Show with Storm, Janie and Chris