People May Be More Allergic To Male Dogs Than Females

January 23, 2020

© Sergey Lavrentev | Dreamstime

Categories: 

We love our dogs, well, 90% of us love our dogs.  The remaining 10% would love to love dogs but allergies keep them away from the joy of having a dog as part of the family. It has brought us labradoodles, goldendoodles, bernedoodles, schnoodles, sheepadoodles and other cross breeds in an effort to create a more hypoallergenic dog.  Although this practice is not without controversy.  Now there's some new findings that there might be a simpler way to steer clear of pet allergies: just opt for a female dog. Specifically, five proteins, known as Can f1, Can f2, Can f3, Can f4, and Can f5, are found in the dead skin cells, urine, and saliva of dogs (not the fur at all).  Any one of these proteins, or a combination, can cause an allergic reaction. However not all dogs produce these five proteins.  In particular, Can f5 is made in the prostate and therefore only found in male dogs.  And while it is rare for a person to be affected by only one protein, participants in this study were more tolerant of female dogs. This research may be too limited to draw a sweeping conclusion from, but it’s certainly more information that we didn’t have before. And it could theoretically make a difference for however many people suffer specifically and only from an allergy to Can f5. Their solution: just get a female dog!

SOURCE: Better Homes & Gardens

See and hear more from the 98.5 KTK Morning Show

98.5 KTK Morning Show Podcast