To Microwave, Or Not To Microwave!

October 11, 2019

Dreamstime

Categories: 

Microwaves are great for certain purposes, but not for others. More often than not, you’re going to need to put your foods and drinks in something to microwave them and that needs to be deemed "microwave safe." There is virtually no debate that a glass plate, cup or container is the safest to use. Most paper plates, towels and napkins are good too. However because some paper towels are made with plastics and some paper plates and cups are coated with plastic, National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) International recommends only using those products marked as microwave-safe. Wax and parchment paper, as well as microwave cooking bags are deemed fine too, according to NSF International. Most ceramics made with properly formulated glazes are safe in the microwave, but you should be careful when dealing with ceramics made in China. China does not adequately regulate the ceramic industry and some manufacturers use glazes that contain high amounts of lead and arsenic, which are dangerous elements that can leach into foods when microwaved. Containers you should not use in the microwave are the obvious metal varieties and not so obvious, such as brown paper bags from the grocery store. Per the U.S. Department of Agriculture, they are not sanitary, may cause a fire, and can emit toxic fumes. Intense heat may cause a bag to ignite, causing a fire in the oven. The ink, glue, and recycled materials in paper bags can emit toxic fumes when they are exposed to heat. Instead, use purchased oven cooking bags. And as for those one-time use take-out containers, it a no-no and that includes margarine tubs and yogurt containers unless they are marked with a "microwave safe label.  How can you tell if something is microwave safe besides a label?  Fill a measuring cup with one cup of water and place it in the microwave along with the questionable container/dish. Turn the microwave on high and let it run for one minute. If the dish feels warm to the touch, it is not a microwave safe container/plate/cup.

SOURCE: Lifehacker

See and hear more from the 98.5 KTK Morning Show

98.5 KTK Morning Show Podcast