Vets Warm Pet Owners To Remove Himalayan Salt Lamps From Your Home

July 9, 2019

© Chernetskaya | Dreamstime

There's a good chance you have seen or own a Himalayan salt lamp. They are carved out of pink Himalayan salt and claim to have several health benefits such as cleaning the air in your home, soothe allergies, boost your mood and help you sleep. While those health benefits are up for debate, its distinctive look and warming pink glow when lit can create a relaxing mood in any room. But care should be taken especially with pets. Some veterinarians are voicing concerns over sodium poisoning from pets licking the lamps. Sodium poisoning can be life-threatening for animals (as well as people), as it can cause seizures, vomiting, diarrhea and loss of coordination as high levels of sodium raises your blood pressure, causing swelling and potentially heart attacks, strokes, dementia and kidney disease. So if you do adore your Himalayan salt lamp, make sure it is not accessible by your pets (and small children too) so they do not ingest the sodium which makes up the salt lamp. Better, and safer, would be to remove it from your home.

RELATED: Is It Healthier To Use Table Or Sea Salt?

RELATED: Enhance The Mediocre Taste Of Apples With A Little Salt

RELATED: Simple Ways To Shake Off Excessive Salt From Your Diet

SOURCE: Unilad

See and hear more from the 98.5 KTK Morning Show

98.5 KTK Morning Show Podcast