How To Get That Burnt Smell Out Of Your Microwave

September 8, 2020

Dreamstime

Categories: 

The debate continues as to which smells worse, burnt coffee? Or burnt microwave popcorn? But it’s not just popcorn that’s prone to stinking up your kitchen. Rogue crumbs and debris from warmed-up leftovers can also leave your microwave smelling like a bonfire, especially if you keep on burning them in the microwave with repeated use. But know, even with the cleanest microwave, the type of materials used in the construction of microwaves leaves them prone to retaining smells as they cook, or burn, your food. Fortunately, nixing the burnt-on smell is relatively easy. You’ll just need a couple of simple ingredients and a little bit of time and effort. As you would expect, they are the three items we use often to clean: water, vinegar, and baking soda.  First, when possible, it’s always a good idea to remove the source of the smell as soon as you notice it. Each time you use the microwave, you’re essentially re-baking the burned-on debris, which will only make matters worse. Now with a sponge or cloth, wipe away any crumbs, splatters or debris from the inside of the microwave. Mix one cup of water with three tablespoons white vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the water/vinegar solution for six minutes. You should notice the microwave filling with steam as the solution comes to a boil. After the six minutes is up, allow the bowl to stand for 15 to 20 minutes so the steam can do its work. By now, the smell should noticeably dissipate. Carefully take the bowl out of the microwave with an oven mitt or pot holder. Dip a fresh cloth inside the remaining solution to wipe down the inside of the microwave, including the top and the door. Wash the plate and the wheels with soap and water if needed. If your microwave still smells after you cleaned it, pour a cup or two of baking soda into a bowl and put it inside with the door shut overnight. This should suck up any remaining odors and leave your microwave clean and ready for the next item to be overcooked and burn!

SOURCE: Apartment Therapy

See and hear more from the 98.5 KTK Morning Show

98.5 KTK Morning Show Podcast